This month we are starting a mega marathon & it will go on for this whole month. We started off with "Andhra Pradesh", which is also my home state & was juggling on which recipe I should choose.
Pappu Charu or Pappu saru is a well know andhra house hold dish. It is slightly different from the rasam we make. This dish is filled with dal, veggies & spices, which bring out a unique flavor to the dish. This dish basically doesn't need any powders to flavor it but my mom add's a little of rasam powder & it sure does it's magic in this dish.
Cook Time-45mins | Serves-3people
1/4Cup toor dal
1Small onion sliced
2Green chili's sliced
1Drumstick cut equally
1Tsp chili powder
1Tbs tamarind pulp
1Tsp rasam powder
Salt to taste
Few curry leaves
2Red chili's broken equally
1/4 Tsp Hing / Asafetida
2Garlic cloves chopped
- Wash toor dal with lots of water. Take toor dal & drumsticks in a pressure cooker and add 1cup water. Cook it for 2 whistles & switch off heat.
- Heat a deep bottomed vessel with oil. To that add cooked dal, onions, tomatoes, green chili's, chili powder, sugar, salt, turmeric, rasam powder , curry leaves & tamarind pulp to vessel along with 2&1/2cups water. Adjust taste if needed. Mix it well & bring it to boil.
- Cook on low heat for 15mins or until onions & tomatoes are soft. Switch off heat & rasam is ready.
- Heat a small pan with 1tbs oil. Once it is hot add jeera, mustard, garlic & red chili's. Once the mustards start jumping add hing & switch off heat.
- Mix the seasoning with rasam.
- Serve with rice, dollop ghee & few papads.
- Remove green chili's from the recipe to reduce the spice level.
- While seasoning you can add both garlic & hing or just any one of those.
Follow me on "Facebook", "Google+", "Pinterest" for daily updates. Leave me a comment on any queries regarding this recipe & I will be able to answer it for you as soon as possible.