Monday, September 23, 2013

Tamarind Pulp

Tamarind is one of the main ingredients in south indian dishes. From rasam to chutney & curries we use it to bring a tingly tangy taste to the dish. I sharing a pulp that can be made a head of time & can also be stored for 3 months at-least. I have learned this from my mom & it made my life much easier. 
This year has been a very rough ride to me. I had to visit india for around 4months & was arranging all the essentials things for my husband to cook. I made this tamarind pulp of 2 boxes & freezed one, while refrigerated the other. It's still good till date. 



Ingredients
1 Cup Tamarind
2 Cups water
-----
- Take tamarind in a bowl & deseed it if any.
- Next clean it with runny water to remove sand stuck to it.
- Next in a vessel take tamarind & water. Bring it to boil.
- Cook till the tamarind becomes soft for around 10mins on low heat. 



- Switch off heat & allow it to cool. 
- Once it is cool blend it to a smooth paste. 
- Transfer the pulp to a air tight container & refrigerate it. 
- It will last for at-least 2 months. 
- Freeze it if your vacationing or if you have made excess of it.

Use it as wanted.


9 comments:

  1. I don't like to handle tamarind (the skin on my fingers starts breaking), so its been store bought tamarind paste for a long time now. Thinking of doing this at home once to see if it works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow thats a very very useful post dear :) wonderful captures !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do my tamarind pulp,very handy they are na.. I'll add some turmeric powder and salt in my pulp...

    ReplyDelete
  4. tamarind pulp is a mainstay at home...we use it in so many things...great to have it homemade :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i make tis one in pressure cooker.. bfully prepared..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep this in the fridge for everyday use. Very convenient and saves lot of time too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. we hardly use tamarind..so normally this pulp is not required , but surely a useful post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow this is a great way to store tamarind pulp. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete