Friday, September 13, 2013

Nimmakaya Pulihora | Lemon Rice

@ Ammaji Kitchen
Lemon Rice is a most comforting & easy dish. I love to have this rice at any time of the day. Making this dish is easy & tastes very delicious too. I love this dish very much when my mom makes it. She is a good cook & I love observing her while she cooks. The simplest changes she makes to the dish do bring a lot of difference in the flavors. My mom makes this lemon rice for dinner on weekdays. She generally uses a little more of seasoning than I used here. It tastes heaven. So sharing my comfort food recipe with you all here.
@ Ammaji Kitchen
Prep Time:10mins 
Cook Time:1hr {Includes cooking rice & cooling it off}
Serves:2-3people
Ingredients 
2Cups uncooked rice /4Cups cooked rice 
4Cups water
Few curry leaves 
2Tbs oil
Juice of 2 lemons
Salt 
For Seasoning
2Tbs mustard seeds
2Tbs chana dal 
2Tbs urad dal 
1/4Cup peanuts
6Red chili's cut into half
3Green chili's slit into half
1Tbs grated ginger
2Tsp turmeric
2Tsp hing
1/4 Cup oil 
Cilantro for garnish
Directions 
- To cook rice add in rice, oil, curry leaves & water to the cooking bowl. Cook rice accordingly & cool it before making lemon rice.
- Heat pan with oil. To that add channa dal, urad dal & peanuts. 
- Allow them to fry till channa dal changes a little color. 
- Add mustard seeds, ginger, green & red chili’s to pan. Once the mustard starts jumping add hing & turmeric to pan & switch off heat. 
- Take a wide pan or plate. Add cooked rice & seasoning to it. 
- Next add lemon juice & salt little by little according to your taste. 
- Sprinkle coriander & mix it well. Taste the rice & adjust taste if needed. 
- Allow rice to sit for 30mins before you serve.  
- Serve it with your favorite chutney & enjoy.
@ Ammaji Kitchen
Note
- Cook rice according to your convenience. Electric cooker is my to go everyday & cooked rice according to it's instructions
- Using basmati rice will give a nice texture to the dish. I don't feel using basmati for south indian dish. Don't feel authentic.
- Allow the seasoning to cool before you touch it or there is a chance you might burn your hand. 
- Every lemon is different  & some have too much of juice. So add little by little as said above to avoid too much tanginess to the recipe.
@ Ammaji Kitchen
Follow me on "Facebook", "Google+", "Pinterest", "Instagram" for daily updates. Leave me a comment on any queries regarding this recipe & I will be able to answer it for you as soon as possible.


19 comments:

  1. very beautiful clicks Sree, even i feel, my mom's recipes are always better than mine, even a basic stir fry

    ReplyDelete
  2. This kind of one pot meal are always our family favourite, serve me with potato fry i can have this lemon rice even everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lemon rice looks so delicious ! I am craving for some ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderufl pictures of a simple yet tasty rice. A quick and tasty treat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rice looks smashing..wish I could dig in ..and what awesome clicks.super.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks amazing - colorful and fresh looking - wish I had some now

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simple and perfect for the lunch box / travel...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nimmakaya pulihora is one of our household favorite and we make it exactly like you do..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pictures have come out well..very nice..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our family favorite as well! We call it evergreen rice..never can get bored of it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is our family fav and you have made it so well. The presentation is so lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who can say no to these simple, flavorful dishes?

    ReplyDelete
  13. so flavorful and so delicious!!! well presented!!

    Sowmya

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love lemon rice, wonder why I dont make it more often! Will def try making this sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  15. My daughter loves lemon rice...lovely click!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My favourite of course mom makes it the best. Amazing clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looking good blog. Update some ancient food items. By Cookscape

    ReplyDelete