Split (Yellow) Moong dhal - 1 cupGhee - 1/4 cup
Sugar - 1/2 cup + 1 Tbs
Milk - 1/2 cup (Instead of water for the sugar, this gives the khoya added taste)
Few cashews/ raisins roasted in ghee for garnish.
Method to Prepare:
1. Soak 1 cup moong dal overnight. Next morning, grind to a paste.
2. Heat a heavy Kadai, take initially only 1/2 of the ghee and heat it.
3. Add the dhal and stir continuously, not allowing lumps to form. This part is very tricky as the dhal cooks really fast, irrespective of the ghee.
4. Keep the heat at the lowest and keep stirring even after the dhal becomes thick.
5. Add the rest of the ghee intermittently and cook the dhal until aromatic and the ghee starts oozing out.
6. Meanwhile mix the sugar with water/ milk in a pan and bring to a boil. Add this slowly to the cooking dhal.
7. Keep the fir low at all times and break lumps if formed while adding the sugar and water/ milk mix.
8. Cook until the ghee surfaces.
9. Ganish with cashews and raisins