Thursday, September 5, 2013

Dhokla

First time when I had Dhokla (a dish of Gujarat) I was like 17yrs. That time I was pretty busy with my studies and all, so never gave it a thought about it. That is the age where cooking is not your option & all you know is to educate yourself & enjoy life.
Later years life has changed. Now it’s time I have to think about cooking. So then can a friend in my life who invited me to her house for a tea party. She was also a newly married just like me & she was experimenting in cooking. She made “Dhokla” for our tea party & that’s when I got this recipe from her to try it out. 

Dhokla

Yields: 6 Cupcake dhoklas
Ingredients 
1 Cup besan flour
1 Tsp. sugar
1 Tsp. lemon juice
1/2 Cup curd
1/2 cup water 
1 Tbs. ginger green chili paste
Pinch of hing
3/4 Tsp. baking soda 
Pinch of turmeric 
Salt for taste 
For seasoning  
1 Tbs. mustard 
1 Tbs. sugar 
2 Tbs. lemon juice
10 Curry leaves 
5 Gree chilies slit in to half
1 Tbs. Olive oil


Dhokla

Grease a pan with butter & keep aside. I used silicon cupcake molds as you see in the picture so skipped this step.
In a bowl take all the ingredients other than baking soda & mix them well.  Add the baking soda to the mixture and stir it once & don't over do it. 
Now pour the batter in to the greased bowl & either steam cook it or microwave it. 


Dhokla

I steam cooked them for 15mins & checked it by inserting a tooth pick in it. Once it came out clean I removed the cupcake dhokla's & allowed them to cool for some time. 
Mean while heat a pan with oil for seasoning & add mustard, curry leaves & green chilies to it. Once the mustard starts jumping add a 1/4 cup water to the pan. To that add sugar & lemon juice & allow sugar to dissolve. Switch off heat. 


Dhokla

Now gently remove the dhokla on to a plate & spread the seasoning on to it.
Serve it right away.

Note: 
1. I used baking soda instead of Eno. So feel free to use Eno while trying.
2. Microwave method saves little more cooking time. Try it @ your convenience. 


21 comments:

  1. I can die for dhoklas, love that you used the muffin moulds for making dhoklas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dhoklis are from my state..and you are serving them..and I love your presentation..absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soft and lovely dhoklis and nice idea of using cupcake moulds...

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow that's a cute mold!.I love dhokas..

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahhhhhhhhhh dhokla in a cup cake size ahhh what else can be perfect just love the idea going to implement in my house too so good and yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious and soft looking dhoklas.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  7. love dhokla and love the shape you can made..looks very inviting!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. they look so cute in the muffin liners!!! beautiful shape!!

    Sowmya

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wanted to make this but the recipes I found said you had to leave batter to ferment like idli/dosa batter and last time I tried that in this climate it did not really ferment so I skipped it but I will definitely try your instant method

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fuss free method of steaming dhoklas in moulds. Looks fabulous...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved these cute ould shaped dhoklas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the cute moulds!! These are just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. we always make dhokla but cupcake shape is just wow.... following so long ,would be appreciate,if you will follow back.
    http://kiransaboo.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved your cupcake moulds :) Would definitely try it this way to make them bite size..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah the cupcake size seem perfect for serving, Long time since I made this, will have to try once again :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice single serving idea with muffin pan..They look so cute..

    ReplyDelete