Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Baingan Bharta

   Long weekends are always fun to have. But the after holidays blues are hard.I feel lazy to do anything around & just love to stuck myself on a sofa with a good drama. This long weekend is no different from the other, we went to beach, watched an idiotic movie "the World's End" & did a little shopping of grocery & other stuff. So now it's time for me to get back to reality & start working on the blogging marathon again. Wishing myself a good luck with that & I'm here sharing a regional dish for Maharashtra, Bengal, Orissa & Bihar. (Acc. to wikipedia) This dish has a smoky flavor to it becoz of grilling it on a stove top & that makes this dish more delectable. 


Yields : 2 Servings
Ingredients
1 Large eggplant/brinjal
½ Cup chopped onions
1 Cup chopped tomatoes
1 Tsp. ginger garlic paste
1 Tsp. garam masala
1 Tsp. paprika
½ Tsp. turmeric
1 Tsp. mustard
1 Tsp. jeera
1 Tbsp. Olive oil
1 Tbsp. Cilantro for garnish
Salt


Place eggplant on your stove top & cook it in medium heat. Rotate the eggplant on the burner to cook it on all sides. You can see the brinjal getting softer on all sides & that is when you switch off heat.
Allow it to cool for at-least 15mins on your counter top. Then peel the outer burnt skin & keep the pulp aside. Mash the brinjal without any lumps.



Heat pan with oil & to that add mustard & jeera. Once the mustard starts jumping add the onion to pan.
Sauté them for few minutes. To that add ginger garlic paste & fry for few seconds.
Add tomatoes to pan along with turmeric, garam masala powder, and paprika & salt.
Close it with a lid allowing tomatoes to cook & once they are done add the mashed eggplant to pan. Mix well & cook on low heat for 5mins.
Switch off heat & garnish it with cilantro.



Serve it with roti , naan & chapati.

28 comments:

  1. wow my favourite subji :) looks so superb

    ReplyDelete
  2. All time favorite ! Love to have it with roti and a bowl of curd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh perfect with roti / naan!!! very comforting and delicious!!

    Sowmya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its my favourite bhartha, love this

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually this popular in andhra too and I have seen tamilians making this as well..:)..so we can call this Indian recipe right..pictures are very nice..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been on my to-do list for a long time, wish I make it sometime if there are takers at home... love the contrast of the green coriander against the rustic brown ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whenever i think about eggplants,definitely Bhartha will comes to my mind,one the most favourite dish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I used to love this...just can't eat due to brinjals allergy...but this surely sounds very flavorful..super.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not an eggplant person but I am sure it would taste just as wonderful using different vegetable

    ReplyDelete
  10. My most favourite dish. Any which way I just love Baigan Bharta.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfectly done! Drool worthy pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. an absolutely loved and adored veggie of the family. cant get enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love bharta...and loved the way you have made it and presented it

    ReplyDelete
  14. As a kid, this was the only 'baingan' dish I'd have. Interestingly, my friend from Bihar gave me a Tomato bharta recipe that is prepared in s similar manner with tomato roasted on stove top in place of the baingan

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this curry all time fav one can have it any time so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love eggplant and this baingan bharta is probably in the top 5 eggplant dishes I like :-)
    Lovely presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  17. One of my fav subzi. Looks very delicious and beautiful snaps...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely color and I must say I love the smoky flavor. Nice pics as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. My Fav Bharta.. looks perfect & mouthwatering..nice clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it with chapathis... Neatly presented

    ReplyDelete
  21. Baingan bhartha is one of my favorite recipe made with eggplants. Lovely dish and clicks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. My absolute favourite dish. Love your presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Tempting click and perfect side dish for naan and rotis..

    ReplyDelete
  24. I came across your blog while looking for some Indian food recipes and liked a lot. How amazing! I will keep an eye out for all your recipes :)

    ReplyDelete