Kadhi Bari is a dish from Bihar. The word ‘Kadhi Bari’ means "fritters in flavored thick buttermilk". It is little similar to majjiga pulusu but with those cute fritters floating in buttermilk make this dish much more irresistible. This is a delicious dish we enjoyed & it is sure going to be regular on our menu.
Prep Time-10mins | Cook Time-30mins | Serves-3PeopleIngredients
1/2Tsp turmeric / haldi
1&1/2Tsp chili powder
2Tsp coriander cumin powder
1Tsp ginger garlic paste
Few curry leaves (4 leaves)
Salt for taste
1/2Tsp chili powder
1/2Cup sliced onions
Water to make batter
Oil for deep frying
Salt to taste
1Tsp mustard seeds
1Tsp jeera / cumin
3Red chili's cut equally
Few curry leaves
1/2Tsp hing / asafetida
- In a pan take besan, turmeric, chili , coriander cumin powder, curry leaves & ginger garlic paste.
- To that add yogurt & water. Mix them smooth without leaving lumps in the mixture.
- Now place pan on a stove top & cook it on low flame till it becomes thick & comes to a gravy consistency. Now add salt & later balance the kadhi taste if needed.
- Mean while in a bowl mix besan, ajwain, chili powder, onions, salt & little water to make a thick dough. Adjust salt & spice level if needed.
- Heat a pan with oil for deep frying.
- When oil is ready & hot add a spoon full of dough in to oil.
- Fry it till they are little brown. Now remove & strain them on a paper towel.
- Repeat the same with rest of the batter.
- Mix bari with kadhi & allow them to rest.
For checking if oil is hot:
Let the oil get hot & add a little of besan in. If oil is hot and ready the besan will float on top immediately.
- Heat a pan with oil. To that add mustard, jeera, curry leaves & red chili's.
- Once the mustard starts jumping add hing & switch off heat.
- Mix the seasoning with kadhi & serve warm along with rice.
- Instead of cumin coriander powder you can add garam masala powder.
- You don't have to limit yourself with onion fritters. Replace onions with any of your favorite veggie & relish this dish.
Follow me on "Facebook", "Google+", "Pinterest" for daily updates. Leave me a comment on any queries regarding this recipe & I will be able to answer it for you as soon as possible.