Sambar powder is one of the basic spice powders where every south indian household has it in their kitchen racks. This powder recipe has different variations from region to region. I got this recipe from my mom & she makes a fresh powder of this recipe every time she makes sambar. She prefers using fresh powder to stored one because of it's flavor. She uses the same recipe when making it in bulk too.
Cook Time-10mins | Prep Time-5mins | Yields-5Tbs of powder
2Tbs chana dal / senaga pappu
2Tbs urad dal / minapappu
5Tbs coriander seeds
2Tbs black pepper
2Strands of curry leaves
1Tsp hing / Asafetida
2Tbs grated dry coconut
- Heat pan with 1/2tsp oil & to that add chana dal & urad dal. Fry them till they change light to a little darker shade.
- Transfer them on to plate & allow them to cool.
- Now add another 1/tsp oil to pan & rest of the ingredients other then coconut .
- Fry them to till they are changed to a little darker shade & switch off heat & allow it to cool.
- Once they are cool enough grind them to a smooth powder along with coconut.
- Store it in a air tight container for freshness.
Similar recipes you might like:
Follow me on "Facebook", "Google+", "Pinterest" for daily updates. Leave me a comment on any queries regarding this recipe & I will be able to answer it for you as soon as possible.