Majjiga pulusu,a south indian style kadhi is made of buttermilk / curd along with different spices that add a rich flavor to the recipe. I'm sharing a different variation of majjiga pulusu in which you add a little bit off masala to give a kick to the comforting dish.
Serves 2 people
1 Cup thick yogurt
3/4 Cup water
1 Cup onion chopped
1 Cup tomato thinly sliced
2 Tsp ginger garlic
1 Tbs oil
Masala (Grind it)
1 Tbs poppy seeds
1 Tbs coriander seeds
1 Tbs fennel seeds
1/2 Tsp turmeric
5 Red chili's ( adjust acc. to your spice level)
1 Tbs oil
1 Tsp mustards
1 Tsp jeera
2 Red chili's cut equally
Few curry leaves
1/2 Tsp Hing
- Grind all the masala ingredients to smooth paste by adding little by little water.
- Heat pan with oil. To that add onion & fry them till they are transparent.
- Add ginger garlic paste to pan & stir fry it for 1min.
- Now add tomatoes to the pan & stir fry for 1min.Then add masala paste & salt to the pan.
- Close it with a lid. Allow the ingredients to steam cook for 5mins or till tomatoes are cooked well.
- Mix yogurt & water well. It looks like a thick butter milk.
- Add the butter milk to pan & allow it to cook in low heat for 3mins & not more than that.Switch off heat & majjiga pulusu is almost done.
- Heat another pan with oil. To that add mustard, jeera, red chili's & curry leaves. When the mustard starts jumping add hing & switch off heat.
- Mix the seasoning with pulusu & adjust salt if needed.
- Don't allow the curd to boil or it will be curdled.
- Instead of thick yogurt & water, you can use 2 cups of butter milk.
- Spice level of red chili's vary with the variety you use. So adjust accordingly.