Ghugni is an East Indian dish, which is also enjoyed as an evening snack. I used yellow peas in this curry but you can replace them with white peas or black gram. Ghugni can also be served as a side dish with roti or pulka's. I served it along with Dhuska & the combo tasted very delicious.
PrepTime-20mins | Cook Time-20mins | Soak Time-6hrs-8hrs | Yields-2servings
1Cup yellow peas
1Medium onion chopped
2Tomatoes finely chopped
1Tbs ginger garlic paste
2Tsp coriander cumin powder
1Tsp garam masala powder
2Tsp chilli powder (Adjust the spiciness as needed)
1Tbs tamarind pulp
Cilantro / Coriander for garnish
- Soak chickpeas overnight & pressure cook with 2cups of water & pinch of salt for 1 whistle. Check if they are cooked perfectly. If not cook them for one more whistle.
- Heat a pan with oil. To that add cumin seeds & allow to splutter. Now add onions & fry them till they are translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste to pan & fry till the raw smell goes off. Add tomatoes to pan.
- Add tamarind pulp, coriander cumin powder, chili powder, garam masala & turmeric to pan.
- Mix them to the gravy. Next add chick peas & salt to pan. Close with a lid & allow them to cook for 5min on low heat.
- Adjust salt & chili powder if needed & garnish gravy with coriander leaves.
- Ghugni is ready to serve.
- You can replace tamarind juice with lemon juice.
- Allow the curry to cool down before mixing the lemon juice.
Follow me on "Facebook", "Google+", "Pinterest" for daily updates. Leave me a comment on any queries regarding this recipe & I will be able to answer it for you as soon as possible.