Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Ulava Charu | Horse Gram Rasam | Hurali Saaru | Kollu Rasam


Ulava charu is a Andhra delicacy. This dish is much known & enjoyed in Guntur & Krishna districts of Andhra Pradesh. The actual preparation of this dish, which is made in villages, is very tedious & time consuming. But you can just pressure cook them make this rich & tasty rasam filled with flavors.
I added rasam powder to this rasam as a twist to it. This dish turned to be spicy & appetizing.


Prep Time - 8hrs for soaking + 15min | Cooking Time - 30mins | Serves - 4people
Ingredients
1/2Cup ulavalu {horse gram}
3Cups water
1Cup sliced onion
2Tomatoes chopped
2Green chili's slit in to half
1Tsp rasam powder
1/4Tsp turmeric
1/2Tsp red chili powder {adjust as needed}
1Tbs tamarind pulp 
1Tsp sugar {adjust as needed}
Few curry leaves
Salt to taste
Seasoning
1Tsp mustard
1Tsp jeera {cumin}
2Red chili cut in half
2Garlic cloves chopped
1Tbs butter/oil 
Directions 
- Soak lentils overnight. 
- Pressure cook them with water for 2whistles. Switch off heat & allow to cool. 
- Filter water from lentils & discard cooked lentils. 
- Heat a pan & add lentils water to it. 
- Add onions , tomatoes, green chili's & curry leaves to it. 
- Close it with a lid & cook it on low heat. 
- After 10mins of cooking add rasam powder, turmeric, red chili powder, tamarind pulp, sugar & salt. 
- Adjust flavors if needed.
- Cook on low heat for another 5mins & switch off heat. 
- Heat pan with butter. To that add mustard, jeera, red chili's & garlic. 
- Once the mustard starts jumping switch off heat & add it to rasam.
Note
- Adjust the spice level as needed.
- You can totally omit red chili powder if the green chili's are spice enough. 
- You can omit rasam powder from the recipe.
- I like adding sugar to balance the flavors. Using it won't make rasam sweet. 

Follow me on "Facebook", "Google+", "Pinterest" for daily updates. Leave me a comment on any queries regarding this recipe & I will be able to answer it for you as soon as possible.

5 comments:

  1. I love this chaaru.. so tasty and healthy.. great to have as a soup too..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this rasam. This one looks yummm..

    I have posted this in my blog recently too. :) take a look when you find time.

    I guess I am here for the first time. But sure to be back often. Keep it going.

    Nithya
    www.4thsensesamayal.blogspot.com
    www.nitsarts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is new pulse to me.. but looks delicious.!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a new kind of rasam to me...Would love to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I originally commented I seem to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now every time a comment is added I recieve 4 emails with the same comment.
    Perhaps there is a way you can remove me from that service?
    Thank you!

    Also visit my site: refinance and mortgage

    ReplyDelete